Beneil Dariush’s much-anticipated match against ex-champ Charles Oliveira has been postponed due to an injury sustained by Oliveira, as confirmed by an unidentified source familiar with the situation to MMA Fighting. This pivotal lightweight matchup was set to be the co-headlining event at the upcoming UFC 288 pay-per-view main card happening on May 6 at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.
The main event is a bantamweight title fight between champion Aljamain Sterling and former champ Henry Cejudo. Oliveira attempted to regain the UFC lightweight title six months ago in a fight against Islam Makhachev at UFC 280 to no avail. Prior to that, he was stripped of the belt in May at UFC 274 after missing weight for a fight with Justin Gaethje, who he submitted in the first round.
Dariush has worked hard to earn a title shot, winning eight straight at lightweight after several up and downs at 155 pounds. The 33-year-old veteran has been patiently waiting for an opportunity to secure a title fight, and the scheduling of this match against Oliveira seemed perfect.
MMA Fighting’s anonymous source indicated that another date could be scheduled for Oliveira vs. Dariush or Dariush may choose to hold out for a title shot.
The UFC 288 fight card has been updated and now includes the following matches:
- Aljamain Sterling vs. Henry Cejudo
- – Jessica Andrade vs. Yan Xiaonan
- – Kron Gracie vs. Charles Jourdain
- – Drew Dober vs. Matt Frevola
- – Kennedy Nzechukwu vs. Devin Clark
- – Khaos Williams vs. Rolando Bedoya
- – Marina Rodriguez vs. Virna Jandiroba
- – Phil Hawes vs. Ikram Aliskerov
- – Rafael Estevam vs. Zhalgas Zhumagulov
- – Joseph Holmes vs. Claudio Ribeiro
- – Daniel Santos vs. Johnny Munoz